sUp5rET.png

Opinions on the Modern Game Industry

Bestorio

I'd like to discuss a few things that I find either Interesting or annoying in the modern game industry.
I am sure that one or more of these are or have been discussed elsewhere, so you probably know most of this if you're actively looking at gaming news.

I will try and avoid naming any games or companies but the people who know what I'm talking about probably know already.
That said, there are a few names I will bring up as examples.

1st
Publishing of unfinished games.

Now, when I say unfinished, I mean professionally made and published games that have large budgets and (possibly) hundreds of people working on them.
Since for Indie developers releasing games on Early Access allows them to further develop the game and gain funds to allow them to continue, I won't complain about them.

There have been multiple games published on current or past generation of gaming consoles and PC's that have been extremely buggy and unpolished.
I don't know the actual reason for this kind of behavior from game companies, but I suspect it has something to do with the Internet.

Let me explain;
Modern consoles are connected to the internet most of the time, which allows easy access to patches for games. Therefor game companies do not feel the need to properly finish the games the same way they have been finished in the past, since the issues can now be fixed easily.

Even if this is the case, I don't think it's acceptable. It's only them being able to sell things to consumers unfinished.

2nd
DLC that doesn't add content

Basically, downloadable content that only unlocks content already included in the game.

Mafia 2 example;
The 'Hot Rods'
There are a few cars in the game, that are completely functional, can be customized, tuned and driven around. But you can't save them in your garage. No matter how much you try.
This wasn't really an issue at first, but a disappointment. Until I learned that there was a DLC that allowed you to save these cars into your garage.
Yes, the DLC added a new outfit if I remember correctly, but that alone isn't really worth it.

I have enjoyed the game very much, and will probably play it in the future.
But some of the DLC is a complete rip off.

There are probably more games like this, but this is just an example.

3rd
The one company I will name

King
The makers of multiple somewhat successful games on cellphones, tablets and Facebook.

These are the kind of people that I hate. Not the people who work there, no, but the people behind the "ideas".

Unless you haven't already noticed or heard, they have shamelessly copied older games pretty much completely and then complained to all others who have made similar games.

Example; Candy Crush Saga
The company sued the makers of a game called CandySwipe, which was made before Candy Crush.
Now, that's probably because it has the word "Candy" in it, which King has registered as theirs. Yes, they own the word Candy. (In the US)
Although I do believe they do not own the rights anymore, or have at least filed for trademark abandonment.

There are literally hundreds of games like this online, and you'll probably notice how it resembles Bejeweled as well.

I could write similar examples out of their other games, but I really don't see the need.

If you have anything you'd like to add or correct feel free to leave a reply.

That's all for now, folks!

Have a good one.

sUp5rET.png