sUp5rET.png

My Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas won't launch in Windows 8.1

TheGuyNL

Donator
Donator
Hello guys!

I've been playing MTA in a virtual machine because it doesn't work in Windows 8.1 for some reason. So you guys might have ideas on how to solve this.
No I will not install windows 7, I have used windows 8 for a long time and I'm not going back!
Here is what I tried:
  • Update Directx (Current version is 11 on my system)
  • Update video card drivers
  • Downgrade video card drivers
  • GTA CD installation
  • GTA Torrented installation
  • GTA Steam installation
  • Compatibility mode for each system there is
  • Changing install directories
  • Removing a gta_sa.set file if I had one....

Here is a pic of what I get:
aag7QR5.png

If you guys have any idea on how to fix this, please let me know!

Greetings,

Guy

Stick

MTA:RP Forum Legend
Sir, have you tried turning it off and on? heuheu..

I got windows 8 and it's working for me... I could try to help you but can't say if we'll succeed.

holdfire16 is my Skype PM me.

Pacram

I was under the impression Win 8 was awaiting support for more compatibility, have you tried checking your driver updates?

Mach2

Server Supervisor
Staff member
Server Supervisor
Lol you have tried everything except what u need to do....
Go to Download.com and Re-Install MTA:SA

Yes download the direct x (newest version is best). Then right click on your game icon, go to properties, change the compatability mode to like windows 98. I had this problem also. If it still doesn't work, you better downgrade to windows 8, windows 7, windows vista, windows xp, windows 2000 or windows ME (windows 7 and xp are the best for this game)

Jockeyzz

Server Supervisor
Staff member
Server Supervisor
How to fix:

• Delete system32.
  • Jump on your bed 5 times.
  • Scream to your computer screen.
  • Dance the raindance.
  • Throw your PC out of the window.
  • Get urself windows 7 cuz windows 8 sux.

Tsubaki

Try to install DirectX if its a fresh install and run it in compatability mode. I personally use Win 8, not 8.1 but I believe it would all be the same.

Try to install DirectX if its a fresh install and run it in compatability mode. I personally use Win 8, not 8.1 but I believe it would all be the same.

Well i did say before, run it in compatibility mode for windows 98/ME (not xp/2000 but try xp/2000 first). Make sure you make gta_sa.exe in that then it'll probably work. Mta uses proxy-sa.exe (something like it) and if the instruction above doesn't work, then also run proxy-sa in compatibility mode (however i am on windows 8.1 and it works even when gta sa isn't working. It also worked for me in windows 8 without any compatibility settings).

Download this http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=35 and install it. Then try to start GTA again.

If that fails, right click your GTA:SA icon, click the compatibility tab, then select Windows XP SP3 from the drop down menu, click apply then ok.

Lol are you even using windows 8.1 or windows 8. In windows 8.1 the windows xp sp3 comparability mode only sometimes work. Easiest way to make it work is use another operating system or even a virtual machine (only if your processor supports the virtualization). Anyways this is outdated

Last edited by a moderator:

Storm

Lol are you even using windows 8.1 or windows 8. In windows 8.1 the windows xp sp3 comparability mode only sometimes work. Easiest way to make it work is use another operating system or even a virtual machine (only if your processor supports the virtualization). Anyways this is outdated

I'm using Windows 8.1 and it works for me the majority of the time. Meh, didn't realise the date this was posted.

sUp5rET.png