sUp5rET.png

Installing foundation for a shed

greenops011

Donator
Donator
So, my grandparents have a shed that year by year seems to be sinking into the ground. Its not a major major problem, sometimes opening the doors starts to get difficult. When it was originally installed (probably 30 years ago), there was never a complete concrete foundation put into place. there are 4 cement "standoffs" on each corner, but I am not sure what else is under neath.

What I'm thinking is if we can lift the shed up, and use something like a skid steer with a bucket, we could dig out an area, border it with plywood or even cardboard to hold the concrete in place, then pour the concrete into the hole, and lower the shed back on top of it.

Here's the problem. I am going to also upload some pictures from google maps for reference. The main problems are, the age of the shed, the strength of the wood (possible rot), how strong it would be during the lift, and extremely limited space.

There is a chain link fence on one side of the garage and beside the shed. On the other side of the house is where the gas main, air conditioner, and hedge is. On the side where the shed is, if you removed the chain link fence, you would maybe have enough room to squeeze a skid steer in to the back yard, but it would be extremely tight.

For supporting the shed when up in the air, I was thinking using steel beams across the underside of it could prevent the floor from collapsing underneath it, but the problem is how to actually lift it.

We could possibly rent a small mobile crane, the type you would maybe use for lifting pallets onto the roof of a low rise apartment building, but as this is a solid wood shed, I personally would be concerned about weight, and overloading the crane, as you would have to extend the boom over the garage and then lower the winches down to the shed. There is simply not enough space on either side of the property to get any large equipment into the back yard.

What I'm wondering, is what are your thoughts? Does anyone have any suggestions on how in the hell to accomplish this?

ABmNWPR.jpg

CDBwQNB.jpg

Mach2

Server Supervisor
Staff member
Server Supervisor
Your best bet is to take it down, lay a foundation of concrete, then rebuild it.

greenops011

Donator
Donator
Yeah, that crossed my mind. My grandfather is, shall we say, the stubborn type, and he refuses to get rid of it and go with a modern PVC molded plastic shed, so if it can't be lifted safely, then that may be our only option

Mach2

Server Supervisor
Staff member
Server Supervisor
Yeah, that crossed my mind. My grandfather is, shall we say, the stubborn type, and he refuses to get rid of it and go with a modern PVC molded plastic shed, so if it can't be lifted safely, then that may be our only option

Build a new wooden one then :p

Ray Payne

<b><span style="color:#B3102B;"t>Serb</b><br /><b>
Donator
you probably should have blocked the address in the picture lol

Itd probably be cheaper to just rebuild a new one.

greenops011

Donator
Donator
you probably should have blocked the address in the picture lol

Itd probably be cheaper to just rebuild a new one.

Personally, I'm not worried about the address, as unless you know what city, country, etc I'm in, its unlikely you'd see it

Crucial

Banned User
Be careful... I would just tear it down but that will be hard since you have other buildings nearby... Cheapest way is to slowly take it down and I would rebuild it... You can make a wooden base but DON'T use concrete! If you use concrete it is considered a part of the house because of the foundation. This means you will have to start paying more taxes for your property. If you are fine with this, go ahead.

sUp5rET.png