sUp5rET.png

Civil Case Adam Belton (Represented by Stone Law Firm) vs Los Santos Police Department for Criminal Harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mach2

Server Supervisor
Staff member
Server Supervisor
[ch]SC-100[/ch]

Plaintiff (list names): Stone Law Firm on behalf of Adam Belton
Case Number (for clerk):

One.
The Plaintiff (the person, business, or public entity that is suing) is:

Name: Stone Law Firm on behalf of Adam Belton
Phone: 354-685
Street Address (Street, City, State, Zip): Metroplitean Ave Vernana Bluffs - Stone Industries, Conference Center, San Andreas 35468
Mailing Address (if different): Same

Two.

The Defendant (the person, business, or public entity being sued) is:
Name: Los Santos Police Department
Phone: #211
Street Address (Street, City, State, Zip): LSPD, Pershing Square, Conference Center, San Andreas 35468
Mailing Address (if different):

If more than one Defendant, list next Defendant here:
Name: Officer Thompson

Three.
The Plaintiff claims the Defendant owes $2,000,000

• [*=left]Why does the Defendant owe the Plaintiff money? Criminal Harassment with multiple times being stopped, and called names and harassed. Criminal Misconduct we have added due to the Officer being a uniformed peace officer. (Misconduct can be considered an unacceptable or improper behavior, especially for a professional person.) The defendant owes this money due to several times we've tried to negotiate an agreement with the Plaintiff they most recently offered $2,000,000 as a settlement and in exchange the Officer would be re-trained, and left at no-fault. We want the Defendant to permanently make Officer Thompson ineligible for re-hire within the Los Santos Police Department. We're willing to accept a lower settlement in financial compensation as long as the Officer is not to be an active Law Enforcement Officer.
    [*=left]When did this happen? (Date):

• [*=left]If no specific date, give the time period: Date started: 03/06/2020 Through: 03/08/2020

[*=left]How did you calculate the money owed to you? (Do not include the court costs or fees for services.) This was the total Assistant Chief Mr. Bolts offered to us, and it is a number we are utilizing. As mentioned we're willing to accept a lower amount as long as Officer Thompson is never to be hired again.

Four.
List the evidence you have regarding the claims listed in three.

• Evidence 4.1
    • Dashcam Video/Audio #1
    • https://pastebin.com/3jL4Fdxm
    • This is dashcam of my client, Adam Belton, and another female where the female is yelled at, and even shouted at, being called a"White Girl".
  • Evidence 4.2
    • Dashcam Video/Audio #2
    • https://pastebin.com/gGZZqcDt
    • This is dashcam of my client, Adam Belton, being called an Asshole right from the beginning of an interaction with this Officer. You can hear my client asking for a Supervisor, when the Officer just disperses the scene wishing my client a good day.
  • Evidence 4.3
    • Dashcam Video/Audio #3
    • https://pastebin.com/JR9i3n8D
    • This is dashcam of my client, Adam Belton, being called a "pussy" by the same individual, Officer Thompson. He also said "You ain't shit in this town" - this is where the Criminal Misconduct comes into play, and harassment being Officer Thompson was employed by the LSPD and in uniform.

Five.
You must ask the Defendant (in person, in writing, or by phone) to pay you before you sue. Have you done this?

• [*=left][ X ] Yes

Six.
I understand that by filing a claim in court, I have no right to appeal this claim.

I declare, under penalty of perjury under San Andreas State law, that the information above and on any attachments to this form is true and correct.

Date: 03/08/2020 Connor Stone Representing Adam Belton As Stone Law Firm
Date: 03/08/2020 Adam Belton Adam Belton

Last edited by a moderator:

Overload

Keeper of the Keys
Staff member
Server Owner
Donator
Judge Ello presiding.
Notification shall be given to a representative of Los Santos Police Department and their attorney (if applicable) to appear before me for this case within 24 hours.

jameshargus

Los Santos Police Department
*Jack bolts slowly walks into the court room with a briefcase in his hand and slowly take a seat*

Overload

Keeper of the Keys
Staff member
Server Owner
Donator
This courtroom is now in session, all witnesses and parties involved have been sworn in.

We will begin with the Plaintiffs opening statement and followed by the defendants opening statement.

Mach2

Server Supervisor
Staff member
Server Supervisor
*Connor Stone would look around the courtroom, standing up as he looks at Judge Ello

[English] Connor Stone says: Your honor, I would like to begin with my opening statement.

[English] Connor Stone says: I am here today representing my client because he, on multiple occasions has been stopped by the Los Santos Police Department, who was employing Officer Thompson; as seen in evidence provided he is mistreated in a very non-civil matter.

As recited; in Evidence 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3 my client and his Mrs was called a racial slur, and my client being called multiple names.

As seen in Evidence 4.1, in the video provided, my clients Mrs was shouted and generalized as a "White Girl" - being shouted at right after a shout of "Slow it the fuck down", pardon my language, simply reciting.
Evidence 4.2 contains another dashcam video, this time you can clearly hear the Officer's opening statement is as stated: "License and registration asshole". He is called this two times throughout the interaction, then when my client asks for a Supervisor the Officer disperses the scene with no further explanation of whether an Officer was going to follow up.

Lastly as seen in Evidence 4.3, my client was in a public place at Idlewood Gas Station, where Officer Thompson pulled up first shouting "Slow it down Mr Vroom", then "You ain't shit in this town Pussy!". This specific example is a vital example after being stopped times before and called various offensive slurs, which does constitute as criminal harassment going out of his way to disrupt the quality of life of my client, Mr. Belton.

We made an attempt to settle with the Los Santos Police Department, and through many efforts they continued to prioritize the Officer's interests above the citizens they swore to protect and serve. We asked for termination of Officer Thompson, and to make him ineligible for re-hire. Assistant Chief Mr. Bolts proposed a mere two weeks. After two weeks, he would be eligible for re-hire, and "re-training". My concern is that even though, as Mr. Bolts shared with me Officer Thompson went through initial training, he still failed to represent the Los Santos Police Department in a professional, courteous manner. He did not uphold the standards a citizen would hope and expect from a peace officer that is here to protect our lives.

The financial compensation is a baseline of what the Los Santos Police Department offered, and we are willing to accept less as long as we are able to be certain that Officer Thompson is not patrolling the streets of Los Santos as a peace officer of the law.

The concern I have is the negligence the department had over these concerns I raised, and never once took a moment to ask Mr. Belton if he was okay, or what they can do to help him once we brought it to their attention. A simple re-training can not, and will not change ones behavior, nor mindset.

That is all your honor.

*Connor Stone sits down, taking a sip of water

jameshargus

*Jack Bolts would straighten his tie and would slowly place his arms onto the chair, pressing him upwards and out of the chair as he walks forward slowly and presents himself in front of the judge.*

[English] Jack Bolts says: Your honor, If I may begin, I would like to begin with my opening statement in regards to this case of the Los Santos Police Department versus Adam Belton.

[English] Jack Bolts says: As a member and leader of the Los Santos Police Department I feel the need to inform everyone in this courtroom that we hold our officers to the highest of standards to keep the streets of San Andreas a safe and peaceful environment to reside in.

[English] Jack Bolts says: Immediately after being presented with a compensation deal by Mr. Connor Stone that we were prepared to accept for $2,000,000 with a No Rehire agreement for 2 weeks, Mr. Stone and his Client Mr. Belton stood up and left the office we were in and refused to take the offer any further. As soon as I was out of the meet, Officer Jimmy Thompson Voluntarily resigned before we had a chance to suspend him or launch an investigation. We feel it is extremely wrong to fire or terminate someone without a proper investigation, although we were more than prepared to look into this incident. At this time, due to the fact being there were no accusations of corruption, we as a department have decided not to look into this incident as it is no longer an internal incident.

[English] Jack Bolts says: After Reviewing the full dash camera of the officer concerning Evidence 4.1, we as a department found that although not the professional standard we hold ourselves to, still not corrupt. The officer had exhibited the subject speeding excessively. Without a statement from Jimmy Thompson, we can not determine whether the "White Girl" Reference was intended to be racist, although we would like to state Mr. Thompson has had no record of racism nor have any of his co-workers exhibited any racism from him. We have comprehended that although this was unprofessional, it has no relation to this case as this case is Adam Belton VS Los Santos Police Department, not Mr. Belton's partner and this evidence should be dismissed.

[English] Jack Bolts says: After Reviewing the full dash camera of the officer concerning Evidence 4.2, We had seen Mr. Belton drive past a stop sign, failing to yield and nearly T-Boning and striking Officer Thompson's Cruiser placing his life in danger. Although the cursing exhibited in this evidence is not tolerated by the LSPD, the officer was fully in his right to pull Mr. Belton over. No corruption was exhibited proven here.

[English] Jack Bolts says: After Reviewing Evidence 4.3, We have found Officer Thompson to be in the wrong in terms of being unprofessional. Mr. Thompson had overreacted in terms of being disrespectful towards this citizen. Prior to this recording, the officer's dashcam and our speed cameras show this individual was speeding.

[English] Jack Bolts says: Your Honor, the definition of harassment is generally defined as a course of conduct which threatens, intimidates, alarms, or puts a person in fear of their safety. Mr. Thompson never in any of these evidence exhibited traits showing he intended to threaten or intimidate or put a person in fear of their safety. Mr. Stone had claimed his client was criminally harassed and this just isn't true.

[English] Jack Bolts says: At this time the LSPD has taken all steps we can to ensure this doesn't happen with any other officers. In response to Mr. Stones requested compensation of Mr. Thompson not being able to ever patrol the streets of Los Santos is simply ridiculous. This is throwing an individual's specialized career completely away and disposing of what they worked for over a few mistakes. Even if LSPD instituted a non-rehire agreement, the officer has a right to apply for other agencies such as SPD. We as a department believe in second chances and believe that our training can reform and reshape a problematic officer that needs guidance, given the chance. Mr Thompson had not gone through the Los Santos Police Departments Academy, simply the orientation for new officers. He had attended a third party state Academy Class. We are stricter than most academy classes, although accept officers ready to go on the road that have attended the academy, like most other Law Enforcement agencies. Any Retrainings we offered would require the officer went through our academy.

[English] Jack Bolts says: Stating all of this information I would like to ask everyone in this courtroom to keep an open mind about so quickly terminating a man's dream, his life and his passion over a few mistakes. This officer needs to reformed if they decide to be rehired.

[English] Jack Bolts says: That is all your honor.

*Jack Bolts Slowly returns to his seat and promptly sits down as he nods his down saying a quick prayer in silence during the period of silence in the court room, then returning his head towards the court room.*

Overload

Keeper of the Keys
Staff member
Server Owner
Donator
Thank You gentlemen. We will move on to questioning. The plaintiffs lawyer shall begin the questioning with a maximum of 5 total questions, the defendant will then respond to those questions and follow up with his own questioning for the plaintiff and his lawyer. Questions shall be limited to a maximum of 5 each per side, for the sake of time. Make your points count.

Last edited:

Mach2

Server Supervisor
Staff member
Server Supervisor
*Connor Stone stands up, calling Mr. Bolts to the stand

[English] Connor Stone says: As you stated, allow offcers that are ready to go on the road that attend the academy, meaning the third party academy. Being you just accept any officer, does that mean you do not assess these officers to verify they uphold the standards of the Los Santos Police Department and equip them with a badge, and firearms?

[English] Connor Stone says: You stated your understanding of harassment, followed by stating Officer Thompson never exhibited these behaviors. Are you saying the way my client was treated was up-to and inline with the Los Santos Police Department's standards, and the behaviors exhibited by your Officer was acceptable?

[English] Connor Stone says: You state you've decided not to investigate this due to his employment status, are you saying it is not in the department's best interest to verify the integrity of these Third-Party Academy Students before equipping them with a gun and badge and continue to allow third-party academy graduates to not be assessed to verify they are up to the Los Santos Police Department Standards?

[English] Connor Stone says: You recited Evidence 4.2, and mentioned the incident that happened prior. Are you saying it is acceptable for an Officer to exhibit such behavior, and language when on-duty and leave a scene without fulfilling Mr. Belton's request of speaking to a Supervisor?

[English] Connor Stone says: You've brought up a lot regarding the reasoning behind my client initially being pulled over. Does being pulled over allow the Officer to use rude, degrading language?

*Connor Stone sits down, looking around

jameshargus

*Jack Bolts stands back up from his chair and goes the stand and takes a seat*

[English] Jack Bolts says: That is correct we accept any officer that has attended the academy to be a part of the LSPD, although we evaluate them and give them orientation before going onto the road alone. We do not just accept any officer. We evaluate every officer to the best of our abilities and did not foresee the actions from Officer Thompson that were exhibited in this case.

[English] Jack Bolts says: I made it very clear we do not tolerate the level of professionalism Mr.Thompson exhibited, although it was not career-ending.

[English] Jack Bolts says: I stated we have decided not to further investigate this due to the fact there was no serious offense of corruption and the fact that the officer was no longer employed by our agency. If the officer had not resigned it would have been fully investigated. We do not verify the integrity of the third party academy's in terms of their skillsets as they are run by state instructors and held to the standard required by the state in terms of training. We equip them with a firearm and badge after giving them orientation and evaluating them. They are expected to follow all LSPD Standards.

[English] Jack Bolts says: I made it very clear Mr. Stone that concerning Evidence 4.2, the language is not tolerated, although the officer was in the right for pulling them over. Mr. Thompson did provide a supervisor. Assistant Chief Aston Sofer responded to the scene and spoke with Mr. Adam Belton for the duration of the stop.

[English] Jack Bolts says: It is very clear we hold ourselves to a high standard as a Law Enforcement Agency. We brought up a great deal before being pulled over because they should all be taken into account. At the end of the day, we are all humans and react to other humans emotionally, although we are trained professionally to react more professionally.

*Jack Bolts stands back up and returns to his seat*

jameshargus

*Jack Bolts stands back up from his chair and prepares his documents*

[English] Jack Bolts says: Mr Stone are you aware that although LSPD could initiate a non-rehire policy for Mr Thompson, he could seek employment with Law Enforcement agencies elsewhere in San Andreas, such as SPD?

[English] Jack Bolts says: Mr Stone, Do you believe that making a mistake in your life as minor as the ones Mr Thompson is being accused of making should end your career?

[English] Jack Bolts says: Is it or Is it not true that your client Mr Belton has a bias against Officer Thompson in relation to Crime ID 13D Involving Mr Belton being ticketed for VC 23103 in the amount of $20,000 that influenced this court case?

[English] Jack Bolts says: Mr Stone, Why does your client wish for an officer that has a producitivty rating as one of the higest in the state of san andreas in terms of legally seizing illegal substances to no longer be a police officer over a simple mistake like this?

[English] Jack Bolts says: Mr Stone why did you choose to pursue a case against a department that no longer employs this officer, rather than attempting to pursue Mr Thompson himself, since you claim this is a criminal charge?

Mach2

Server Supervisor
Staff member
Server Supervisor
*Connor Stone stands up, going to the stand as he takes a seat*

[English] Connor Stone says: Yes, we are aware. Being Los Santos Police has primary jurisdiction over Los Santos, it would provide my client peace of mind knowing he is not a direct conflict with his daily life and activities.

[English] Connor Stone says: Mr. Bolts, I would never put myself in such of a position to degrade ones life. He has an opportunity to continue his life and establish a new career he may seek out.

[English] Connor Stone says: My client was not concerned about any ticket, but rather his quality of life and safety being at risk with his day-to-day operations.

[English] Connor Stone says: Regardless of productivity rating, an Officer is to protect and server the citizens of Los Santos. Not disturb, and impede on ones life with degrading statements.

[English] Connor Stone says: Being the department employed Officer Thompson during these acts, it is only proper to pursue the employer (formally, now) and ensure that Officer Thompson, and the Los Santos Police Department be held accountable. We're hoping for Los Santos Police Department to be more through, and validate the integrity of its Officers.

Overload

Keeper of the Keys
Staff member
Server Owner
Donator
If either party have any closing statements they wish to make known now would be the time to do so. This time we will start with the Defendant, And end with the plaintiff's Lawyer.

jameshargus

*Jack Bolts would stand up*

[English] Jack Bolts says: Thank you your honor, I would like to simply state that although Mr. Thompson is accused of misconduct, we believe he shouldn't force him to never be rehired. We have certain procedures to deal with this if they are rehired in an effort to reform and reshape them as a public servant. This has a potential to ruin his dreams in this city, the real reason we all live in this city, to pursue our dreams. We do our best to hold our officers to the higest of standards and evaluate them routinely. Thank you your honor, that is all.

*Jack Bolts Returns to his seat and sits down*

Mach2

Server Supervisor
Staff member
Server Supervisor
*Connor Stone stands up, looking around as he takes a sip of water before speaking

[English] Connor Stone says: Your honor, I thank you for your time during this preceding. Being Officer Thompson did exhibit such behaviors, it is unprecedented to allow an individual represent a city, or state as a peace officer that is designated to protect and serve; not make a civilian feel unsafe and scared. Whether the Officer's real interest lie within law enforcement or another field, it should not dismiss the actions he has done. My client has suffered from these experiences, and feared for his own life, as well as his Mrs, a fear that one someone designated to protect and serve may use their tools for the opposite of their designation. I ask you take this all into consideration.

Thank you.

*Connor Stone takes a seat

Overload

Keeper of the Keys
Staff member
Server Owner
Donator
The Los Santos Police Department not only admitted negligence but made no effort to disprove the claim of their own officers misconduct.

I find the Los Santos Police Department Guilty of Negligence, for the lack of training and supervision of this officer.
I further find the former officer Thompson Guilty of Criminal Harassment.

The Los Santos Police Department is hereby ordered to pay a monetary compensation to the plaintiff in the amount of $500,000.00

The officer resigned from his position after being accused, which only leaves me to believe he not only knew of his wrongdoing, but essentially admitted to it by resigning..
The Officer In question Mr. Thompson shall be ineligible for rehire in ANY San Andreas law enforcement department for no less than 10 years.

My advice to the Defendant in the future, is to improve your vetting and training departments for your department before this happens again.

*Judge Ello would slam his hammer down on the podium*
The ruling is final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
sUp5rET.png